Boston 311 / Mass 211

The centralized hubs for comprehensive information about the complete spectrum of services in Massachusetts that address the social determinants of healthy lives and communities. City of Boston residents can call “311” for assistance and referrals to housing, shelter, and financial assistance resources. Massachusetts residents can call “211” or visit Both hotlines are open 24/7.

Emergency Assistance for Families

Department of Housing and Community Development
Families in Massachusetts seeking emergency shelter should call and speak with a Homeless Coordinator.



Housing Consumer Education Center
Residents at risk of eviction or losing their housing should visit the office; walk-ins welcome.


Website: HCEC Homelessness & Eviction Prevention

1411 Tremont Street, Boston, 02120
Mondays 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Fridays 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)
Provides cash assistance and food stamps to families and individuals with low incomes.



Boston Office – Nubian Square
2201 Washington Street, Roxbury, MA 02119

Emergency Assistance for Individuals

Rosie’s Place
Shelter services for individual women (not families).
Phone: 617.442.9322 / Website: Find Help at Rosie’s Place

Pine Street Inn
Shelter and housing services for men and women.
Phone: 617.892.9100 / Website: Find Help at Pine Street Inn

Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Shelter and other services for youth ages 14-24.
Phone: 617.423.9575 / Website: Get Help at Bridge

Additional Resources

Click here for a list of additional resources on Pine Street Inn’s website.